The summer months are around the corner and with it the worries of tanning are starting to resurface.
Have you ever come back from the beach or a holiday looking like many different shades of brown? Are summers your nightmare because of how uneven your skin looks due to constant exposure to harsh sunlight? Does your skin get not just tanned, but also inflammed every summer? Don’t worry we have a handful of home remedies for detanning that will not just remove your tan, but help you breathe a sigh of relief.
Here’s how to remove tan in no time with these 10 home remedies for detanning
1. Tomatoes – Fresh tomatoes are perfect to get a detanned body and face. Easily available in pretty much anyone’s fridge, tomatoes are the perfect antidote to an uneven summer tan. Smash some tomatoes and squeeze out the juice from the pulp. Apply this tomato juice on your face and body. Keep it on for about 15 minutes, rinse with cold water and dry your skin. Do this at least twice a week to get the best results.
2. Potatoes – Pick a potato if you are wondering how to detan your face. Potato peels and juice are a great detanning home remedy. It’s one of the fastest ways to get rid of a deep tan. Mixed with lemon juice, it’s even more potent and using it even once a week for 20 minutes can have a lasting detanning effect. Unless you are about to hit the beach everyday.
3. Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera gel not only soothes skin, but is also a strong home remedy for detanning. You can always buy over the counter aloe vera gels, but the gel from a freshly cut aloe vera plant is much more effective. So consider buying and nurturing an aloe vera plant for detanning your body this summer. Apply this gel for 15 – 20 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week to get even and smooth summer skin.
4. Sandalwood & Coconut Water – Sandalwood helps to remove tan and burns caused by too much sun exposure. Combining a tablespoon of sandalwood in two or three tablespoons of coconut water creates the perfect detanning paste. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and rinse it off with cold water to remove a tough tan. This detanning home remedy is very mild and can be used as often as every alternate day.
5. Lemon Juice & Sugar – Lemon juice by itself is too acidic, but when combined with sugar it can form a scrub that will give you the perfect detanned body and face. This combination helps to remove not just tan, but blemishes as well; making your skin more even toned. Scrub your skin with this home remedy at least once a week to remove a pesky tan.
6. Pineapple & Honey – Citrus products are a sure shot way to remove tan. Mix a tablespoon of honey with a few slices of mashed pineapple to create a detanning paste. Apply this on tanned skin for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Don’t use this remedy more than a couple of times a week. Pineapple is acidic, so overusing it can make your skin dry.
7. Turmeric, Honey & Milk – Another effective detanning home remedy is a combination of turmeric, honey and milk. A pinch of turmeric, mixed with a couple of spoons of honey and milk creates a perfect detan pack that you can apply to your skin a couple of times a week in the peak of summers.
8. Cucumber & Milk – Like aloe vera, cucumber both soothes and detans one’s skin. Mix with milk and applied this paste to your skin for 20 minutes, to both detan and moisturize your skin effectively. Apply this combination 3 times a week to see lasting results.
9. Buttermilk & Oats – Blending oats with buttermilk is another remedy that you can try if you are looking to remove a persistent tan. Oats help to scrub off the tan, while buttermilk soothes and moisturizes your skin. This is an ideal remedy for those with dry skin.
10. Yogurt & Gram Flour – A spoonful of yogurt helps to fade away the tan. Mixed with gram flour the lactic acid in yogurt both cools sunburnt skin, as well as removes the tan. Apply it for at least 20 minutes and then rinse it with cold water. It also makes skin more supple and so this detanning home remedy is great for aging skin.
If you are wondering how to detan your face or body, these home remedies for detanning will surely help you out. But if you are looking for a quick fix, you can always try a tan minimizing facial mask like this one by Dot & Key, which has sandalwood, clay and peony root extracts. All of these are natural tan removing ingredients. This vegetarian, cruelty free mask is good for both you and the environment.
And lastly, do remember to use a high SPF sunscreen to prevent tanning in the first place.