Is your hair tangled in an eternal love affair with your hairbrush? Managing your tresses can be a tiring task, especially, without professional help! But the right mix of hair care and dietary tips can get you the gorgeous hair you always wanted.
Here are 6 tips for healthy hair growth:
1) Cleansing care for better scalp health
Cleansing hair is the base of your hair-care routine. The first step towards a successful cleansing routine is identifying your hair type. If your scalp gets oily and your hair feels greasy, chances are you having an oily scalp. Those with oily scalps should shampoo with a mild cleanser daily or once every two days. If you have a normal-to-dry scalp, washing your hair twice or thrice a week is advisable for keeping it clean and healthy.
Your scalp produces natural oils responsible for your hair health. Washing frequently or when not needed can strip the scalp of these natural oils, thus leaving your hair dry and brittle.
Here's a pro tip: While lukewarm water is good for cleansing the dirt out of your hair, washing your hair with steaming hot water can strip it of these natural oils.
While the market is flooded with high-rated cleansers, here is a DIY natural hair cleanser you can try at home for hair growth -Take 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix it with 1 ½ cup of water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and evenly spray it onto your scalp. Massage gently with fingers and let it rest for 5 minutes. Wash it out with plain, cold water and pat dry. ACV helps treat dandruff and lower pH to restore hair health.
2) Sunscreen protection for healthy hair
The sun can damage your hair and make it brittle! With offices and restaurants reopening, stepping out in the mornings is making a comeback.
But this time, we will be prepared to protect our hair from sun damage. The outside heat and pollution can cause irreparable damages to your otherwise healthy hair. Sun damage can be spotted as discoloration, brittleness, split ends, thinning and frizziness.
A hair sunscreen serum with essential oils can protect your hair from UV damage and also nourish your hair cuticles in the process. Not to miss the soothing scent of a light serum that can fight off the sweaty musk.
Here's a pro tip: Remember to apply the hair sunscreen serum at least 30 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
3) DIY hair growth masks for better nourishment
Hair growth tips at home are incomplete without DIY hair masks! Here are two of our favourite DIY picks for promoting hair growth:
Banana Hair Mask
Bananas are healthy for your body and your hair, even when you make hair masks with them! The banana hair mask works well for repairing and rejuvenating damaged hair.
- To make the DIY banana hair mask, take a ripe banana, 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of glycerin and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Blend to make a smooth paste and apply it to your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap after application and rinse off with water after 30 minutes.
Flaxseed Hair Mask
Flaxseeds are superfoods, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein and antioxidants. Needless to say, flaxseed, when used correctly, can help restore your hair growth naturally. It also nourishes your hair by binding the moisture and reducing dryness, frizziness and split ends.
- Take ¼ cup of flaxseed and add 2 1/2 cups of water to it.
- Boil this over medium flame for 7 minutes, stirring the flaxseeds occasionally, till they start having a runny gel-like consistency.
- Allow this flaxseed gel to rest for 45 minutes off the heat. The gel will now thicken and look similar to aloe vera gel.
- Take a thin straining cloth and squeeze the gel through it into a clean bowl. Once you have enough flaxseed gel in the bowl, add a few drops of tea tree or lavender essential oil to it (optional). Apply this on the hair and leave it for an hour. Wash it off with cold water. You can also store this mixture in a glass bottle or jar in the refrigerator to use weekly.
4) Supplements for hair growth
Biotin hair supplements are the go-to for hair growth and can boost hair growth naturally! A natural supplement like the IKWI Happy Hair Meltable is enriched with biotin that boosts keratin production for thicker and voluminous hair.
Hair supplements like these biotin mint strips are also infused with the goodness of Vitamin B12 for nourishing hair follicles with nutrients and oxygen for healthy hair growth. With the right supplements, ample hydration and proper diet, gorgeous locks are just one selfie away!
5) Better diet for better hair health
Not even the best hair care products can give you luscious, healthy hair if you don't eat right. While outside care and nutrition are significant determinants for healthy hair, it's also important to nourish them from the inside!
Foods loaded with iron, zinc, vitamin C, B vitamins, and omega-3 are linked to healthier and longer hair. Add food items like chicken, fish, walnuts, egg yolk, soybeans, oranges, papaya, carrots, sweet potato, and lettuce to your diet for naturally healthy hair. Also, don't forget to drink plenty of water every day!
6) Switch to wooden combs
So, this one is simple and needs the least effort! It's not a myth that wooden combs are better than your average plastic combs. The plastic bristles create static electricity upon coming in contact with your hair, resulting in breakage.
Instead, take a wide-toothed wooden comb and start by brushing the ends first and then combing with long strokes from the roots. This simple technique helps distribute the natural oils evenly and also prevent hair breakage.
Now that you know all the secrets for hair growth, are you ready to flaunt it?